Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Open the Box!

About a month ago I decided to do the unthinkable.  You see, I didn't know it was unthinkable when I thought to do it.  And how can something be 'unthinkable' if you thought of it anyway?!  But when I shared my idea with friends, it was met with wide eyes, more than a few gasps and even a few comments about my fortitude and bravery.  You know, things like "Oh, you're a better mom than I am.  I could never do that!"

What was this forbidden desire that I had been fantasizing about for over a year?  Well, just see for yourself . . .



Yes, that's right!  I OPENED "The Box!"  

"The Box!" - with my heirloomed wedding gown and veil that is!!  And I let Sheep play in it!  And it was so.  much.  FUN!!!

She has been eyeballing that box for years!!  Looking longingly at it's contents and desperately wanting to try it on!  But the truth of the matter is, I wanted to see her in it, probably more than she did.  It all started some years back when I ran across some adorable photos of my friend's daughter in her wedding gown that she posted on Facebook.  At the time, Sheep was too little to even consider the idea, but I never forgot those photos!  They were amazing!!  And it looked like her daughter was having so much fun!!


And like my long lost friend from high school commented at the time, "How many little girls actually grow up and want to wear their mother's wedding gown when they get married anyway?"  This struck a chord with me as well . . .  because it's so true!!  What/who am I really saving it for?  If the answer is HER, then what was I waiting for?!?  Why not let her wear while she still wants too?!?!  Besides, I needed to take them while she still looked like a little girl playing dress up instead of a creepy cult child bride.  My Texas girls know what I'm talkin' about . . . . .



Anyhoo, I guess I was waiting for the right time and the right photographer too.  Because if you are a frequent flier here than you've seen the quality of most of my photos - ha!  I'm working on it, but I just couldn't trust this memory to my handy dandy point and click.  Luckily, I have been working with a fabulous photography studio in town since Sheep arrived.  Trish and her crew at Imaging Studios does such a wonderful job and they're always willing to play along with my 'wacky' ideas!!  I soooooo much appreciate that . . . and them!



And let me just tell you, the afternoon we had was something truly special.  Sheep LOVED trying on 'mommy's dress' and could not wait to tell all her friends!!  Amazingly, I could see all the BIG dreams in that LITTLE girl's eyes reflected in the mirror.  And while she was laughing and being silly in the mounds of tulle, I held back tears watching her grow up right before my eyes!  I was looking into a crystal ball  . . . and it was enchanting (sigh)!!



I can't help it!
I am IN LOVE with you my Sheep!!!
I would go any where and do any thing for you!!
I would even open "The Box!"

Sharing my Sass at Savvy Southern Style, The Sasse Life, DebbieDoos, Making the World Cuter, Reasons to Skip the Housework, Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy, Somewhat Simple, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Mine for the Making, It's a Hodgepodge Life and Crafty Texas Girls!

Share your own sass at the Sassy Sunday Blog Hop going on until Thursday night!

27 comments:

  1. That's just precious! Beth has been wanting to see mine. I may just have to go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh!! You totally should! You won't regret it!! And what a great pic to have for her wedding day someday - it's just going to be hard to choose!

      Delete
  2. Wow - so cute! I may have to do this with my daughter! Found you at Debbie Doo's party. Thanks for the idea! I'm a new follower now also.

    Michelle @ Crazy for Crafts
    http://crazyiniowa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so (BIG GRIN) but I might be a teensy bit biased! Just sayin' Thanks for stopping by and following! I will be sure to do the same!

      Delete
  3. OK now I totally want to do this! I have to little girls and recently started reading your blog. Can't remember why? but when I saw this I remembered you live close by. I used to use Imaging Studios when Alyssa was there. Anyways I have questions. How old is your little girl? Is the dress pulled together in the back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you a local girl?! Well How-dee!! Thanks so much for following! Yes, I've been through Alyssa and Marie but Trish has been a constant and she really is fantastic. My little lovely just turned 7, but the inspiration pics were from a friend who's daughter was only 5. And yes, though there's a part of me that would love to say no - ha, ha! - it's pulled together with GIANT clips we grabbed in the studio. Unfortunately, the clips kept us from getting one of the shots I had hoped for, which was a picture of her gazing into the mirror from behind, where her face is reflected in the mirror at the same time. But we got SO MANY good ones - too many to choose from really. But the best part is the memories - I can't encourage you enough to just do it!!!

      Delete
    2. I think I am going to take the plunge this summer with my girls. I really don't see them wearing it when they get older and so what is the use of it being sealed. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  4. What beautiful photos and a precious idea to share with your daughter. I opened my box as soon as I got it back b/c I had read stories about brides who had their dress stolen-- they opened the box years later and there was nothing inside but newspaper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! Hmmmm - I must have heard that story somewhere before because I checked mine out as soon as it came in as well. Luckily mine was in a box witha clear, cellophane-type front, so you could see the contents, and then placed in another box, more like a shipping box. I had forgotten my veil was in there though and was so happy to see it again!

      Delete
  5. Fun to be bloggy friends with another sweet Texan!!! Let's definitely play!!! I'm your newest follower!!

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable idea!

    http://www.seesewandseedlings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly! Can't wait to see what you've got going on in your neck of the woods too! Don't forget my Sassy Sunday Blog Hop is open until Thursday @ midnight if you have something you'd like to share!

      Delete
  7. So sweet! Your daughter looks so beautiful. Such a great idea. Newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by!! I host a Sassy Sunday Link Party with a friend each week and it's open until tonight @ midnigt if you've got something you'd like to share too!

      Delete
  8. Sheep is always cute as a button, but she is truely beautiful in these photos. I know how much they mean to you. Forever Memories

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so sweet. I absolutely love this and it makes me wish I would of thought of it years ago. My daughter will be 20 years old this month and that would of been neat to have printed and setting out on her wedding day.

    ~Mel
    Craftymeldesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - it really was fun! And thanks for following!

      Delete
  10. By the way, I'm your newest follower. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is sooo awesome! I would just love to do this with my daughter.. and it does look like soo much fun.. and of course what a gorgeous picture to display someday at her REAL wedding! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo party.. I am your newest follower cause I can't wait to see what you share next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hostessing! Your blog is really cute and clever. What's the story behind the pink hippo? Inquiring minds want to know!

      Jen

      Delete
  12. So sweet! Thanks for linking up @ the Delectable Home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are just adorable! That's a great idea....I saw your post featured on the "Cowgirl Up" blog party. You are so right about most girls these days not wanting to wear their mother's wedding dress on their big day...I can't blame them. Thanks for sharing the cute photos with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously - part of me wishes she would and part of me hopes she won't - I can't wait to go dress shopping with her some day. Just so glad I took the plunge!!

      Delete
  14. Oh, I wish I had thought of this when my girls were little! Fabulous idea.

    I'm your newest follower via L.F. Follow me back if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found your link on Kara's DIY Diva Thursdays link up. This is such a fun idea. Your daughter looks like she is having so much fun.

    Thank you for sharing.
    Mommy Sauri~
    http://casadesauri.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

  16. Very interesting blog, it is very informative pls visit our site for Gift Packing Box

    ReplyDelete