Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Clever Chalkboard Planter

I thought I'd take a minute this afternoon to showcase this quick and clever planter I spotted outside the Girl Scout House during camp this summer (which is such an affordable and fun opportunity for girls by the way, even if they're not Girl Scouts)!


Isn't it cute?!

Last year our Daisies took on the challenge of sprucing up the outside of the scout house with fresh mulch and flowers, only to have it ruined by one of the worst droughts on record in the Lone Star State.

Planter box last year (before)

Still, it was a great opportunity for them to 'take action' in their community and practice their teamwork too!


This turned out ot be A LOT of work for these little Daisies (and their moms)!

An older troop came through this year and freshened up some of the paint at scout house, choosing to use chalkboard paint on the planter box outside.  I've seen chalkboard paint all over AND on almost everything, but I haven't seen it used this way before.  Needless to say - I was impressed!!  Then again, girl scouts are some smart cookies!

After - with some decorating by some brownies at camp!
What can I say - Gril Scouts Rull!

And how fun that the message can be changed for different events, such as our upcoming girl scout rally later this month.  I can't wait!!


I can definitely see something like this done on a planter box at the front door with a welcome message to greet your guests!  As long as it's protected from the rain, you won't be like me and having to redo your sign every other day.  Although it has occurred to me that since it rains every time I redo the message on my chalkboard at the front door, perhaps I am responsible for keeping Texas out of the drought that seems to have hit the rest of the country this year instead.

Your welcome!

4 comments:

  1. Fun Project, and so many great workers! This was fun to see.
    Thanks for finding me. I am happy to return the follow and eager to keep reading your blog,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea to paint the planter with chalk board paint. Stopping by to say Hi from the blog hop. Come visit sometime, tea is cold and no shoes are required. Kathy B. http://www.southernmadeintheshade.blogspot.com New follower from Austin TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you so much for the invitation! And how's your muh-tha? Isn't that what all we good southern girls ask as a greeting?!!

      Cheers!

      Delete