Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Buttery Citrus Curd


 
Winter means its citrus season here in Texas and I am lucky enough to live right next door to very large and very bountiful grapefruit tree.  {Yum.}  We easily get over one hundred grapefruit each year off that tree, and that's just picking the branches that hang over our side of the fence!


Pretty much everyone in my house likes grapefruit, so we eat it for breakfast and at dinner in salads as well.  We make our own juice (courtesy of the 'Nekked Chef') and have served it as a dessert.  But with a harvest this plentiful, I started looking around for other ways to use this delicious winter fruit.

Elegant Citrus Tart Recipe
photo courtesy of Southern Living magazine

Around the same time, Southern Living featured an amazing citrus tart on its cover that was made using orange curd and I decided to try it with grapefruit instead.  You can grab the original recipe here.  All I did was substitute the orange juice and zest for grapefruit instead, but otherwise stuck to the recipe.  And let me just tell you, it's delicious!  In fact, my mother-in-law and I made some of the orange curd as well just to try it and we liked the grapefruit much, much better!


After last year's drought, we had a bumper crop of oranges and lemons around our neighborhood as well, so we've made several batches of lemon curd this year too.  In fact, we've got so much in the fridge right now that I have scrapped the teacher gifts I had planned for a box of homegrown citrus and homemade lemon curd instead.



Not everyone is familiar with the smooth, velvety, buttery, tart-y goodness of curd, so I decided to add a label with recipe suggestions on the back of the jars.  For the front, I printed out labels with the name of this yummy, custard-like treat and a quick Christmas message too!


The fresh fruit and curd look good enough to eat nestled in a pretty box filled with paper straw.  I can't wait to show you so stick around!

In the mean time, it's important to note that curd must be refrigerated and used within a week, so it's best to make this in small batches.  Although all the ingredients are cooked (so it's probably safe to eat for longer than that) the custard starts to separate and it loses is smooth, buttery texture.  But chances are it won't be around that long!

Merry Citrus Y'all!
 

2 comments:

  1. I've made lemon curd once, and loved it always, but grapefruit and orange?! Be still my heart!! I must try it!! Thanks so much for sharing at the Sunday Showcase :)
    ~April @DimplesandDelights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April - you won't believe how good it is with grapefruit. Tart but milder/sweeter than the lemon. We eat it by the spoonful!

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete