Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Homemade Paper Straw


Here's a quick and inexpensive (free!!) way to make packing straw for holiday gifts - use paper bags!

When it came time to package my Buttery Citrus Curd for teacher gifts, I knew I had some gift boxes from last year, but I could only find two bags of paper straw to use around the jars and fruit.  After trips to more than a few stores,  I finally found some, but it was $4.00 per bag and I was going to need at least 8 bags given their size.  What a shame to save money on the gift only to spend the difference (and then some) on the packaging!


But, necessity is the mother of invention as they say, and while wandering yet another store looking for the shredded paper straw, I started thinking about what else I might use.  Then it hit me - I could probably grab a few paper bags from my local grocer or liquor store ('Tis the season) and use those instead!!


I decided against wrapping paper because while cheap, I already had the two bags of natural colored straw at home and I was hooked on the look.  DO you ever get like that?  Anyway, I'm sure it would work and the colors might look really neat all blended together.

All I did to get this look was . . .

 CUT!
 

SHRED!


VOILA!


Instant paper packing straw!


Just add your goodies (and a fabulous bow) and you're all set! 

This looks like something from a Henry & David catalogue!
 
 
And couldn't we all use a little more of THAT this close to Christmas?
 
Merry Christmas Y'all!
 
Sharing this Sassy Idea @ Sunday Showcase, Mop It Up Mondays, Meet Me Monday, Made by You Monday, Debbie Doo's Newbie Party, What's In the Gunny Sack, Take-A-Look Tuesday, Tuesday Tutorial, Wow Us Wednesdays, Cowgirl Up, Whimsy Wednesdays, Pin It Wednesday, Show and Share, Overflowing with Creativity, Creative Me, Made U Look, It's a Hodgepodge Friday, Saturday Show & Tell

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that’s great! It added some impression to your gift. Anyway, I often use these strips for my bird’s nest projects and confetti.

    Ruby @WilliamsDataManagement.com

    ReplyDelete