Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Strawberry Season Starts!

Yesterday was opening day at our local Pick-Your-Own Strawberry Farm and Market and as luck would have it, the kids were out of school!  What a great way to spend the afternoon!  This is our 6th year to pick strawberries at Froberg's Farm and if you live in the area and haven't been - well, you're missing out!!  It's a great way to get outdoors and teach AND kiddos about food and where it comes from at the same time!  And for us, it's become a rite of passage for Spring!  Yes, I said Spring!  Froberg's strawberry season usually begins a little later, but because of all the rain we've had this winter, they were able to start the season about 2 weeks early.  What does that silly ol' groundhog know about Texas weather anyway?!



My mother-in-law makes the best strawberry preserves in two counties (It's true!) - and I was hoping she would teach me how.  I thought maybe I could coax her into it if I took her out to Froberg's, so we grabbed Gram and headed out!  Some of us got a leetle distracted . . . but it's all part of the fun at Froberg's!


The strawberries looked good enough to eat . . .
And we did!
We did manage to pick a few too!

After a little instruction, even Snacks was picking like a pro!  See for yourself!


With full buckets (and bellies), we decided to head home!
But not before we stopped for one last splash!!

Lucky for me, my plan worked!!  I have been wanting to learn Gram's secret for strawberry preserves and she agreed to share it - not just with me, but with all of you too!!!  Isn't that exciting!!   You can get the recipe and step-by-step instructions here!  In the mean time, I'd love to hear what you make with fresh strawberries, so leave a comment and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment