Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas Crazy Legs Tutorial

Yesterday was the feast of St. Nicholas and tradition has it that little girls and boys can leave out their shoes or socks the night before and get a Christmas surprise in them the next morning!  So, in addition to chasing after Snacks, thinking of SOMETHING to cook for dinner and preparing for my weekly CCE class, I thought I would get going on my Christmas stockings project.  Then I could slip something fun into the kids' stockings to celebrate!

But after trips to two local craft stores for red felt (and dollar tree just 'cause) - project fail!  No red felt to be found (humph!) - at least none that I was willing to use for our stockings.  However, I did manage to swipe up some knee high socks at the dollar store (I knew there was a reason for going in there - ha!) that I thought would be PERFECT for a pair of crazy legs instead!

What are CRAZY LEGS, you ask?!


As you can see, they are part leg warmer, part tight and all FUN!!  They are actually GREAT for both girls AND boys, depending on what socks you use - especially down here where much of our winter season is spent wearing jackets in the morning that invariably get shed by recess and completely forgotten by the time Sheep makes it off the bus!  They can be worn on the legs like footless tights, scrunched like leg warmers over pants or put over the arms with a short sleeve shirt on those cool mornings and evenings.  And they're way easier to cram into a backpack than a coat!!  Just sayin'.

Crazy legs are also super-duper SIMPLE to make!  So grab a pair of knee high socks in your favorite holiday pattern and let's get going!

Nothing says Christmas like fuzzy cuffs!  Yeah baby!
Cut your socks just above the heel to make the 'legs'
Cut a 2" strip from the toe of the socks.  This will be used as the band for the legs.
Fold in half lengthwise, with wrong sides together to form the cuff.
Put your 'leg' inside your band and pin the band to the 'leg' around the outside.
Sew around your pins to connect your band to the 'leg.'
I used an overcast stitch but you could also use a zigzag or stretch stitch if your machine has one.
I like to go around twice just to make sure I have caught all three layers of fabric.
Turn right side out and you're done!
Simple, fast and so STINKIN' CUTE!!
And they just 'sew' happen to coordinate with the rest of our Peppermint Kissmas - including this adorable tie shirt I whipped up for Snacks!  I wouldn't want him to feel left out now!

Stinker, I mean Stinkin' Cute!
Merry Christmas Y'all!

http://todayscreativeblog.net/

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, so cute! You should go link up on my sister's crafty blog. She'll love this idea.

    http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, these are so adorable. Just wait until I have my first grand-daughter, she is going to be so spoilt with all these neat ideas I am picking up from you talented ladies. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete